Pickle Soup (zupa ogorkowa)
I made a half recipe and used an immersion blender to make it smooth, but still thick because I like thick soups.
6 cups stock
1 medium carrot, diced very small
1 big potato, diced smallish
1/2 onion minced
6 big pickled cucumbers, grated or finely chopped.
pickle juice from jar - i used 3/4 cup for a half recipe
2 tsp sour cream and more to serve.
2 tsp little flour
- Heat the stock up and add the potato and carrot. Leave it to simmer while you saute the onion slowly in some butter.
- When the potatoes are almost tender add the onion and pickles to the pot. Continue to simmer until the potatoes are soft
- Mix two teaspoons of flour with the sour cream then slowly stir into the soup to thicken it.-if you don't have sour cream, equal amounts of flour & milk will work just fine. Apparently using sour cream with the flour is a Polish thing? I've always only ever used cornstarch and water to thicken.
- Taste the soup and add some of the pickle juice to taste - the sour taste should be distinctive but not out of control.
- Serve with masses of chopped dill, rye toast and more sour cream