Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I've never been to Hawaii, but this is good food!

Hello, ladies! It's been awhile since I've shared a recipe and since I've been up since 4am, I have not only made (and eaten) breakfast this morning but I've got dinner mostly ready to be cooked! I have made and loved this recipe before. I got it from Danielle's Easy Meals thread. So this delicious meal comes to us courtesy of Nikki. Thanks for sharing.

I've made this already once and loved it. The first time I used pork chops, today pork loin. So I don't think it really matters what cut of pork you use. Whatever is handy (or on sale, as in my case) will work.

Hawaiian Pork
serves 6

3-4 lb pork butt or shoulder, trim the fat and cut into large steak size chunks

In a bowl mix:
2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced (have you ever tried to mince ginger? It's quite a tough little root.)
6 cloves of garlic (or more), peeled and minced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup whiskey

Line 13x9 inch pan with foil. [This is where it gets a bit tricky.] Use a long piece length wise and a long piece width wise, enough to make a tent over the pork. Place chunks of pork in bottom of pan. Spoon sauce over pork. Bring up and fold the opposing side of the foil (to form tent) and seal over the pork in a dome shape (to allow for steaming room). Make sure the foil is tightly sealed. Place in 325 degree oven for 3-4 hours. Nikki says: you can't overcook this. Serve with rice and your choice of veggie.

I have, sadly, never had whiskey available to me (we're too poor) but I'm sure it makes this taste even better, if that's possible. And today I'm actually marinating my pork so that it's ready to throw into a pan and in the oven at lunch time, so we'll see how marinating it affects it.

No comments: