Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Chicken Casserole

We had my grandparents over for dinner yesterday to celebrate Grandma's 74th birthday. I foolishly decided to try a new dish, but as I suspected from the recipe, it was simple enough that everything turned out fine.
Campbell's Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
1 can cream of chicken
1 1/3 cup water
3/4 c uncooked regular long-grain rice
1/2 tsp onion powder*
1/4 t black pepper
2 c frozen mixed veggies
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese

1. Stir everything but chicken and cheese together in a 11x8 (or 2 qt) shallow baking dish.
2. Top with chicken. Season chicken as desired**. Cover.
3. Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes or until chicken and rice are done. Top with cheese. Let casserole stand for a few minutes before serving. Remove chicken and stir rice before serving.

*I used garlic powder because I didn't have any onion.
**I used poultry seasoning, which I had never used before, but was quite tasty.

Oh, P.S. that's not my photo. It's campbell's. I'm sure you all guessed that. But mine looked pretty good, too. Honest. ;o)

2 comments:

Erin said...

Matt says, "Everything tastes good with cheese on it", and he's not a chicken fan, so I will definitely have to try out his theory on him with this one!! :)

Anne said...

Ha! Peter and I live by the same philosophy! And he's not a big fan of chicken either...