Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Creme de Menthe Bars

Alllllrighty, story time!

When I was at Purdue, the dining hall of the dorm that I lived in (Windsor, for all you Boilermakers) would make brownies with creme de menthe frosting. They only made them maybe 2-3 times a month, but when they did, I would eat like 4 of them and then my roomie and I would sneak more out to devour later. Later being as long as we could possibly hold off. It was a well known fact on my floor that I was addicted to these. Not the brownie so much as the amazing creme de menthe frosting!! I love green mint. I even had floormates bring me brownies before I made it down to the dining hall to know that they were there!

Well this past weekend a friend had made creme de menthe bars and it was like being back in the dining hall again so I just had to have the recipe. I made it last night NOT EVEN THINKING about the fact that TODAY is ASH WEDNESDAY!!!!! ARRRGGGG. No snacking, small meals etc. So, what's a girl to do? I brought it to my office and all my minions are going to eat it for me...Of course, I did taste it...a few times last night pre midnight hour. It consists of one layer is graham cracker/chocolate, then a layer of creme de menthe frosting, then a layer of chocolate. It is delicious, but a tad too rich for me. I don't care too much for the graham cracker part. I think next time I would just make brownies or chocolate cupcakes or chocolate cake with the frosting. Now that I have an understanding of how to make it with the creme de menthe, the world is my oyster...or mint?

One point to note: the recipe doesn't say to grease the pan, but believe me there is enough butter in this thing, so I would recommend putting al ayer of wax paper down beforehand.


Creme de Menthe Bars
1 1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup cocoa
3 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 beaten egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup creme de menthe
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

1. In saucepan combine 1/2 cup butter and cocoa. Stir until well blended. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar, egg and vanilla. Stir in graham cracker crumbs. Mix well and press into a 13x9 in pan.

2. Melt another 1/2 cup butter. In a small bowl combine melted butter and creme de menthe. At low speed, beat in remaining 3 cups powdered sugar until smooth. Spread over chocolate. Chill 1 hour.

3. In small sauce pan combine 1/4 cup butter and chocolate chips. Stir over low heat until melted. Pour over mint and chill.

Let warm to room temp before cutting.

No comments: