Friday, July 18, 2008

Peach & Blueberry Cobbler Delight

This recipe is from Simply in Season originally, although I tweaked it a bit because I realized halfway through that I was out of milk. I've loved everything I've tried out of this cookbook so far, but I'm still getting used to how it's written! It makes sense the way the ingredients/directions are arranged, but I keep skipping steps for some reason - I guess because my eyes automatically fall on the ingredients first, and the directions later, like a traditional recipe, and I miss some of the directions. But I still love the book. Anyway, enough babbling. Here's the recipe! (traditionally formatted)

Peach & Blueberry Cobbler Delight (adapted from Simply in Season)

1/2 cup water
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch

3 cups peaches (I used 3 very ripe peaches - I think next time I'd use 4)
1 1/2 cups blueberries (I put in about 2 handfuls)
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cold, unsalted butter
1/2 cup boiling water
cinnamon and sugar to sprinkle on top

Mix first three ingredients in a bowl. Add the fruit and stir to coat. Stick bowl in the microwave for about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes to warm it up and thicken it, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon juice. Place in a 2-quart casserole dish.

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt in a bowl. Cut in butter like you're making a pie crust. When it's all crumbly, pour in the boiling water and stir until you've got a dough. Drop in spoonfuls over the fruit, then sprinkle the whole thing with cinnamon and sugar.

Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and the crust is baked through (the recipe says 30 minutes, but my crust was still raw at this point...but you can adjust it according to your oven).

You can also use other fruit, like blackberries or raspberries. Served warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream, this is a really great summertime treat!

2 comments:

Anne said...

Jill, I'm so glad you love that book!!! I love it, too. We have also enjoyed everything I've made from it.

Barbara said...

Jill, Your cobbler looks wonderfully mouthwatering! I could almost smell it.