Thursday, October 30, 2008

My First Bird

I posted over on my blog but forgot to here. I roasted my first turkey for no reason other than they are cheap right now and I can get a lot of meals out of them. And...

...it was a success! I had my doubts. It was harder than I thought it was going to be. I ended up not doing a whole lot to it. Rubbed a little bit of a butter-salt mixture on the outside, put some butter where the stuffing would normally go on the inside, and then put a little more butter under the skin but on top of the breast, flipped the bird breast side down and viola - a juicy delicious bird. I was surprised how well it turned out. It didn't look pretty with the breast side being down but once its carved you can't tell anyway. It took about 4 hours to took and then let it sit for about 15 minutes. Dan read how to carve because he wanted to learn how so he did the carving.

Pictures to boot!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice job laura!! i am scared to cook a bird..

Abby said...

Another thing I've never done. I've roasted chicken, however, so turkey couldn't be all that different...

I love roasting whole birds! There is so much you can do with every little piece and scrap. Such a frugal dish!