Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Shout Out & A Recipe

First, I want to welcome our newest member of the cooking blog, Kristi. I went to HS school with her and now she's married and living with her husband in MO. Welcome, Kristi!

Second, the recipe. Dan said one of the his favorite things growing up was his grandma's beef and noodles. I asked my MIL and all her sisters if anyone had the recipe but found out his grandma never had a recipe. So I cracked open my Better Homes and Garden Bridal Edition and found a recipe for it. Dan would recommend this dish to anyone but I didn't really care for it. It's not that it wasn't eatable, I think it was just the consistency that I got hung up on. This is probably the last meal I'll make in our first home but many more recipes to home in our new home!

Beef and Noodles

Prep: 30 minutes Cook: 1 3/4 hours

1 lbs boneless beef round steak steak or chuck roast (I had a chuck roast in the freezer so that's what I used)
Some flour for coating the beef
cooking oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups beef broth
1 tsp. dried marjoram or basil
1/4 tsp. black pepper
8 oz frozen noddles

Step 1. Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 3/4-inch cubes. Coat meat with flour. In a large saucepan brown half of the coated meat in hot oil. Remove from saucepan. Brown the remaining meat with the onion and garlic, adding more oil if necessary. Drain off fat. Return all meat to the saucepan.

2. Stir in the broth, marjoram, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.

3. Stir noodles into broth mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until noodles are tender.

Tips after cooking: I don't normally put the prep time and cooking time up but this one took longer than I expected so I didn't want one else to be stuck rushing around the kitchen to get it done. Also, I didn't let step 2 simmer for that long, maybe 45 minutes. In step 3, make sure to stir the mixture every so often as it becomes thicker so noodles don't stick to bottom on saucepan.

No comments: