Saturday, September 12, 2009

New Book, New Recipe

While I was staying with my parents' last week, I found a new-to-me cookbook in their pantry: New Dieter's Cookbook. I browsed through it while I was there and it's full of fabulous pictures and fast, appealing recipes. I borrowed it. But my sister wanted to borrow it, too. So I promised her I would post each recipe as I made it.

The first recipe I tried was Chicken with Potatoes and Peppers. It was good, not great, but maybe you'll like it better than me. It appealed to me because I like nearly all the ingredients in it, and it was a new way to eat them. The dish looks really beautiful (not necessarily in my picture), but I think maybe the herbs are a wee bit intense for me or something. Anyway, here it is as I made it. You can alter it further to fit your appetite.

Chicken with Potatoes and Peppers
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
nonstick cooking spray
2 c diced potatoes
1/2 c chicken broth
1 1/2 - 2 roasted red sweet peppers from a jar, diced
1 1/2 t dried basil (I will use less next time)
1 1/2 t dried oregano (less next time)
1/8 t salt
1/8 t pepper
(The orginal recipe suggestions 2 T olives; I do not like olives.)

Spray large skillet with cooking spray. Preheat. Add chicken. Cook and stir 4 or 5 minutes until tender and no longer pink. Remove and set aside.
Add uncooked potatoes, sweet peppers, broth, herbs and spices to the skillet. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered until potatoes are tender (10+ minutes). Stir in chicken (and olives). Heat through. Garnish with fresh oregano if desired.
Makes four servings.

3 comments:

Jill said...

3 tsp. of dried herbs does sound like a lot! I wonder if you used less and used fresh basil instead if that would improve it?

It looks really delicious! I love dishes like that. I'll have to try it soon.

laurasuz said...

Thanks for posting it! I'll take your advice and use less herbs if I make it.

Barbara said...

It's always fun to find a new cookbook!