Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Baked Beans

A usual side dish turned main course. Anne, I always think of you when I come across a dairy free meal for Charlie and this is packed with protein. Unfortunately it has a lot of sugar in it too but that could be backed off some and still taste good, I'm sure.

Ingredients:
2 16oz cans Bush's baked beans (I got what was on sale - one of the big 28oz and then a tiny can)
1 lbs hamburger
1/2 lbs bacon
1/3 cup molasses or 1/4 c syrup
1/3 cup BBQ sauce
3/4 cup brown sugar (I'll use less next time, maybe even 1/4 cup, especially if syrup is used)
1 1/2 tsp mustard
1 cup chopped sweet onion
2 tsp bacon grease (I'd omit this next time)
3/4 cup chopped celery (we loved the crunch the celery gave it. I wouldn't leave it out)

Directions:
Brown hamburger with celery then crumble in 2 qt casserole dish.
Cook bacon then crumble again
Add everything else and cook at 300 degrees of 45 min

Crockpot directions:
Do everything the same as above except place in crockpot on high for 5 hours. The friend who gave me this recipe said they always double it so I'm not sure if the 5 hours is for doubled or not so I'd do less or at least on low and go from there.


No comments: