Sunday, September 30, 2007

Caramel Apple Bars

I made these for a family party yesterday and got a lot of compliments. I didn't tell them that they were super easy and kind of from a mix, because that way I came off looking a lot cooler than I really am. (so much for integrity)
I got the recipe from my mom (yea, mom!) but it is ultimately from Betty Crocker:

Caramel Apple Bars

1/2 cup cold butter
1 pouch (1lb., 1.5 oz.) Betty Crocker oatmeal cookie mix
1 egg
1 c. finely chopped peeled apple
3/4 cup caramel topping (like for ice cream)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1. Heat oven to 350.
2. In large bowl, cut butter into cookie mix using fork or pastry blender. Stir in egg until mixture is crumbly.
3. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of cookie mixture. Press remaining cookie mixture into bottom of pan. Bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle apple evenly over crust. In small bowl, mix caramel topping and flour; drizzle over apples. Sprinkle reserved cookie mixture over apples.
4. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, about 2 hours. For bars, cut into 9 rows by 4 rows.

Sorry I forgot to take a picture!!

1 comment:

LauraSuz said...

This sounds perfect for fall, Jill! I know what you mean about not telling people if it's from a mix or not. I just smile and take the compliment :)