Friday, January 25, 2008

Cooking Slow

This was kind of fun. Laura and Dan are on their way up here as we speak, and I figured I really ought to have something to offer them. Something Friday-friendly and quick. Then I saw this on my daily slow cooker calendar (Fix It and Forget It). Also this was my first slow cooker attempt at something that wasn't soupy or casserole-ish...it was fun!! Maybe I'll bake a cake in it next...

Parmesan Garlic Quick Bread
1 1/2 cups buttermilk baking mix*
2 egg whites
1/2 cup milk
1 T minced onions**
1 T sugar
1 1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 c Parmesan cheese

1. Combine baking mix, egg whites, milk, onions, sugar, and garlic in a mixing bowl.
2. Spray slower cooker with cooking spray. Pour dough into cooker.
3. Sprinkle Parmesan on top of the dough.***
4. Cook on high 1 hour.****


*I used Bisquick...it worked. I think that's what they meant.

**I used dried onion flakes b/c I'm out of onions.

*** I would also recommend sprinkling some salt on top, if you like salt. I wish I had thought to sprinkle salt on it before it cooked, but I did it afterwards.

****Lastly, the timing - always the hardest part with slow cookers. An hour and the middle was still doughy. I cut out the done pieces and put the top back on to let the center finish baking...took about 20 more minutes.

1 comment:

LauraSuz said...

It was good. A nice simple bread to have around for a side dish.

Thanks!