Sunday, January 6, 2008

A Success and a Green Failure...




because all my recipes come with a story...







I was busy tonight...in the kitchen that is. So in November I went on this dance retreat and one of the guys cooked this amazing delicious incredible, i had 2 servings and licked the bowl" garlic soup. Oh was it divine. So today, I was determined to make it. Only, upon telling my mom about the recipe I had, she claimed she had a similiar one. So I decided to make hers tonight and the other guy's next time. Her's is out of the New Basic's Cookbook. I'm not posting it. Because I killed it. I made it green. I failed. When I tasted it, the garlic was more subtle than I remember it being, so I minced some more..okay a lot more garlic into it and the flavor was ..well..biting, stinging..too darn strong. I tried to counter it by adding fresh lemon juice nad letting it all cook for a while longer. Cooking makes the flavor of the garlic lessen, and I used the lemon because when I was on the retreat we had lemon slices we squeezed into the soup. However, after about 20 minutes of this, the soup began to turn green. How sad. By the time I dumped it in the toilet because NO ONE in myhouse would eat it, it was definitely very neon green....

Not to be outdone by my own stupidity, I searched the New Basics cookbook for something else to make for dinner. I found this and made it and it is AMAZING.
And economical. You use less beef, so it's cheaper on the budget..Or you could make it with lamb or chicken too if you wanted to..

The burgers...kind of fell apart, but they're still delicious. And that picture that's kind of blown out is the chick peas being mashed with a potato masher.




Meadow Burgers
8 ounces lean ground beef
1 cup fiinely chopped fresh spinach
1/2 cup finely grated carrots
1/2 cup cooked chickpeas, smashed
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper, to taste

Preheat the broiler.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix well till blended. Shape into four 4-inch patties.

Broil the patties close to the heat source for 3 minutes per side for rare, or longer to taste.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Kristine _ I love to hear about your adventures in cooking!

Jill said...

I really admire your perserverance! I think in that situation I would've made myself some frozen waffles. or PB&J. But, wow, you tried another recipe! And they look delish!