Friday, February 22, 2008

Bloggy Hoggy


This recipe is too good not to share right away! It’s a delicious, easy, slow cooker recipe and Friday-friendly, too. Honestly what more could you want? Plus I think it’d be easy to leave out some of the veggies if you didn’t like a certain one.

Scalloped Potatoes and Beans
from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

1 15 oz can red kidney bean, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 c chopped onion
1 c sliced celery
1 c frozen peas
1 c chopped green pepper
1 10 ¾ oz can condensed soup of your choice*
(suggested: cheddar cheese, cream of potato, cream of mushroom)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 t dried thyme
¼ t pepper
3 medium potatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick
1 c shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

1. In large bowl combine everything but the potatoes and cheese. Spoon half of the mixture into the slow cooker. Top with potatoes and remaining bean mixture.
2. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours** or on high for 4-5 hours. If desired*** top individual servings with cheese.

* I bet the cheddar cheese soup would be delicious with this!! We only had cream of celery and cream of mushroom, so I opted for the mushroom which tastes just fine, but I’m totally using cheese or potato next time. I picked up one of each while shopping this afternoon.
**I just ate some of mine after 5 hours on low (to test it for you guys of course) and it was perfect. I don’t like all my veggies and beans completely smooshy, so this was just right.
***If you’re at my house, this part isn’t optional, unless of course, you’re allergic to dairy.

And finally, I actually have pictures of this but my computer won't cooperate. I'm about to reboot though, so maybe I'll come back and add them.

1 comment:

LauraSuz said...

This sounds amazing and healthy too!