Sunday, February 17, 2008

Success or Failure?

I'm not sure if this recipe was a success or failure... Did it look pretty? No. Did it taste good? I thoroughly enjoyed it, but my husband (unlike myself) is not a fan of plain old bread and butter, not even warm freshly home-baked bread apparently, so I have no other opinions to consult. I liked it. I will make it again and probably play around with the length of cooking until I get it just right. The special thing about this recipe? It's "baked" in the slow cooker.

Healthy Whole Wheat Bread from Fix It and Forget It daily calendar
Makes 8 servings
2 cups warm reconstituted powdered milk
2 T vegetable oil
1/2 c honey or brown sugar
3/4 t salt
1 pkg. yeast
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups white flour

1. Mix together first 5 ingredients with half of the flour in electric mixer bowl. Beat for 2 minutes. Add remaining flour and mix well.
2. Place dough in well greased bread or cake pan that will fit in your cooker. Cover with greased tin foil. Let stand 5 minutes. Place in slow cooker.
3. Cover cooker and bake on High 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remain pan and uncover. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve warm (with butter)!

N.B. I did not use powdered milk when I saw how expensive even the off-brand was. I just warmed up two cups of regular skim milk; it seemed to work fine.
The top of my bread does not look beautiful and golden brown like bread baked in the oven. I liked this recipe for it's simplicity - especially for homemade bread - but I think I'll keep messing with it until I get what I want...

No comments: