Friday, July 11, 2008

Baked Chimichangas

Growing up in New Mexico, I always loved to eat chimichangas. Traditionally they are deep fried, and while I do fry them occasionally, this baked version is obviously healthier. It is also easy for me to prep ahead of time and then leave it for my husband to pop in the oven for dinner while I am at work (which is what he will be doing tonight!)

Ingredients:

2 1/2 c cooked chicken breast
1 box Spanish Rice (I really like Rice - a - Roni)
1 - 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1- 4.5 oz can diced green chiles
Shredded cheese
1 pkg tortillas
1 can refried beans
Sour cream
1 fresh tomato, chopped
Salsa
Olive Oil

1. Cook rice according to directions on box. This will usually mean mixing in the can of tomatoes. This is also when I add the chile.
2. When rice is cooked, combine some of the rice, chicken, beans, cheese, and salsa. Warm a tortilla for 25 seconds in microwave. Spoon mixture into the middle of the tortilla. Fold sides and ends of tortilla, and roll it up. Place seam side down into a 13x9x2in baking dish coated with cooking spray. Then lightly brush chimichanga with olive oil.
3. Continue making the chimichangas until you have filled your baking dish, placing one chimichanga right next to the other.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for about a half hour or until heated through and golden brown.
5. Top the chimichanga with salsa, fresh tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream.

Note: You could actually use any kind of meat: ie. beef instead of chicken. You can also use any type of beans: ie. black or pinto instead of refried. The great thing about chimichangas is that you can fill them with anything you like. You can also top them with anything: tomatoes, onions, lettuce, sour cream, etc. Also, whenever I mix the meat, salsa, cheese, rice, and beans, I do not measure anything. I kind of add equal parts, taste, and see if it needs anymore of one ingredient or another.

No comments: