Thursday, July 10, 2008

Busy Bee

My sister is clamoring for recipe posts, as she knows that I have been spending plenty of time in the kitchen. But if I'm spending all my time in the kitchen, it's hard to find time to post. In fact, I had better find a new project to keep myself busy soon or our freezer will be stuffed full of baked goods that we don't need to eat!

Yesterday, I made pudding for Charles with rice milk. He did not like it. So my search for calcium-filled foods that this child will actually eat continues.

I also made lemon bread and raisin scones. Both of these recipes come from Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book. Every scone I've ever purchased as been very dense. But these came out very, very light. Maybe because I used rice milk instead of the whipping cream called for. In any case, the dough was extremely difficult to handle, but they baked up nicely. The lemon bread is delicious and refreshing. I was too lazy to unwrap it for the picture though.
Lemon Bread
1 3/4 c flour
3/4 c sugar
2 t bakin powder
1/4 t salt
1 beaten egg
1 c milk
1/4 c oil or melted butter
2 T lemon zest
1 T lemon juice
Optional:
1/2 c chopped nuts
2 T lemon juice
1 T sugar
1. Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch sides of an 8x4x2 inch loaf pan. In medium bowl stir together the flour, the 3/4 c sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and set aside.
2. In another medium bowl, combine egg, milk, oil, zest, and 1 T lemon juice. Add egg mixture to flour mixture all at once. Stir until just moistened. Fold in nuts. Spoon batter into pan.
3. Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If desired, stir remaining lemon juice and sugar together and brush on top of loaf while still in pan. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before serving (somehow I never complete this part...).
I don't have the inspiration right now to type up the scone recipe. Maybe later?

No comments: