Tuesday, July 1, 2008

More Veggies


This is kind of similar to Jill's post, but I'm so excited about it! I don't know how I've never cooked like this before. It's so easy, so healthy, and so tasty!

I'm making a variety of this dish for my grandparents on Thursday, so I wanted to try it out first, and it was a roaring success!

You'll see there are many seasoning varieties, and I want to try them all! I substituted all dry herbs for the fresh herbs called for - using a teaspoon instead of a tablespoon. I'll just give the recipe as it's written and you can play around with it as you like.

Roasted Summer Vegetables from Simply in Season (my favorite cookbook!)

8-10 cups fresh vegetables (options include: summer squash such as zucchini, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, red or green peppers, mild chili peppers, carrots, eggplants, mushrooms, sugar snap peas, or fennel) Cut into bite-size pieces for even cooking time (slice longer-cooking veggies smaller and thinner than fast cooking ones). Toss with one of the season options below. Then spread seasoned veggies in a thin layer on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.

To use as main dish: Served over cooked penne pasta, wild rice, or couscous and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
To use as salad: Cool veggies (or use leftovers) and 2 c diced tomatoes, 3 oz feta cheese and additional dressing as needed to lettuce.

Seasoning 1:
3 T fresh basil, chopped
2 T fresh cilantro, chopped
1 1/2 T fresh thyme, chopped
1 T olive oil
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1-4 garlic cloves, minced

Seasoning 2:
1 T olive oil
1 t chili powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 t dried thyme
1/8 t pepper

Seasoning 3:
3/4 c Italian or vinaigrette dressing

Seasoning 4: (good with onion, eggplant, zucchini, green pepper and tomatoes)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 c olive oil
2 T each fresh thyme, oregano, basil, chopped
2 T balsamic vinegar
1T Dijon mustard
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper

No comments: