Sunday, January 25, 2009

Herbed Potato Soup

I got this recipe from all recipes. I think it's probably the best base recipe, you can build this up so much.

INGREDIENTS

2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups water
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups milk


DIRECTIONS

  1. Place potatoes and water in a large saucepan; cook over medium heat until tender.
  2. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute onion butter until tender.
  3. Stir in the flour, salt, thyme, rosemary, and pepper. *
  4. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.**
  5. Add potatoes with cooking liquid; heat through.

SERVINGS: 5

*I cooked the flour for about 2 minutes before adding the liquid.

** I cooked this more than 2 minutes, basically until the potatoes were done (about 10 minutes).

Note: I added about 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes with all the herbs. It gave it a little heat, but oh so good. I could also see putting cubbed precooked ham in as well.

1 comment:

Anne said...

I love soup!! And I especially love potato soups! I cannot wait to try this one...as soon as I can eat dairy again (I'm nursing and the baby appears to be allergic, in case that sentence requires explanation). Yummy!