Sunday, January 25, 2009

'Tis the Season

For yet another soup recipe! This one is a great simple meatless meal, good for Fridays. And I think pretty much all of the ingredients will be in your pantry. From my favorite cookbook: Simply in Season.

Hearty Lentil Stew
4 c water
1 c dried lentils
1 c tomatoes, diced
4 large carrots, chopped
2 onions, chopped
1 t thyme
1/2 t marjoram
2 T dry sherry (optional)
Cook together until lentils and carrots are soft, 40-45 minutes.
1/4 c fresh parsley
2-3 T salt to taste
Stir in parsley with salt. Heat another minutes and serve, garnish with grated Swiss or Gruyere cheese.

I didn't use sherry, parsley or cheese and it was still delicious. Also note that it only gets better after sitting in the fridge. I thought it was fine at first but each leftover tastes better - now I would label it as delicious!!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I love lentils! This sounds good. :)