Monday, January 12, 2009

Just Popping in...

I'm so afraid I'll lose my membership through lack of posting! :D I haven't been baking as much as I'd like (turns out, I have a baby who likes to be IN the sling, but hates BEING PUT into it...hmmm. Most days it's easier to not bother and just carry him around on my hip, like Mom used to!) and The Elimination Diet has reduced my dinnertime repertoire to Variations of Chicken/Fish plus green beans. BUT! I do have a fun and fast little trick to zest up an otherwise boring dinner: Spinach Salad with Goat Cheese and Dried Figs, and Honey Mustard dressing!

I know dried figs can get expensive ($4.99/lb in the bulk section of the health food store) but you only need a small handful, sliced in half. Toss the spinach leaves (baby spinach is best - no tearing needed) with crumbles of goat cheese*. In a (preferably glass, so you can watch the levels) measuring cup, pour 1/3 c. olive oil, salt, and pepper, and add honey and mustard by the tablespoon to taste, muddling as you go. Dump in the dried figs. When the oil starts to get low in the cup (meaning, of course, that the figs are soaking up the oil-honey-mustard goodness) toss the figs in the leaves and cheese. Serve immediately. SO delicious!

*If you don't like goat cheese, or it's prohibitively expensive, of course substitute your favorite salad cheese! Goat cheese happens to be MY favorite! :)

No comments: