Sunday, March 15, 2009

Healthy, Meatless Meal

Does anyone else get pure joy and pleasure from watching their kids eat good and healthy meals? Is it a mother thing? I love it when Charles eats and enjoys meal that are nothing but good for him. I feel like I'm doing my job, I guess. It's nice when I like it, too!

This is a meatless meal from my Gooseberry Patch cookbook called What's for Dinner? I made it Friday. And then added leftover cooked chicken to this meal's leftovers just to pack even more punch! I adapted the recipe slightly...for example I prefer all of my veggies diced, but you can just chop them any size you want.

Rice, Lentils, & Veggies
1 T oil
1 c carrots, diced
2-3 celery stalks, diced
1 onion, diced
1 c long-cooking rice, uncooked
1 c dried lentils, rinsed
2 cans 10 3/4 oz vegetable broth
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t basil
2 cloves garlic minced
pepper to taste
2 T catsup
1 can tomatoes
10 oz package frozen spinach

Heat oil in skillet; add carrots, celery, onion, rice and lentils. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until veggies are softening. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 30 -45 minutes or until everything is tender. Serves 8-10.

Note: Watch the liquid. I think I used 3 cups broth and it worked out nicely for me, but add more as needed to softened everything up. Also this makes a ton of food!!! Just so you know! Oh yes, and I definitely added salt to taste when eating it.

1 comment:

Cass in NYC said...

this looks yummy. I like meatless meals.