Friday, August 28, 2009

Baklava

Joe, Crystal and Miss Austin are due in town tomorrow. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it so I headed to the kitchen to make something special for them. It's a recipe I've been sitting on waiting to use it for the right occasion. Dan tried one for me and said it was good. Opa!

INGREDIENTS
1 lb Filo (thaw at room temp.)
1 lb walnuts, chopped fine
½ to 1 cup sugar (I used ½)
½ to 1 lb butter (the more, the better), melted
½ to 1 tsp cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
Mix together nuts, cinnamon and sugar. Grease pan or line with parchment paper (I used a large cookie sheet). Lay 6 sheets of filo – butter between each layer. Spread a thin layer of nut mixture on top of 6th layer. Repeat using one sheet at a time, buttering each of the following sheets before spreading the nut mixture on it. Do this until the nut mixture is gone.

Be sure to reserve 6 sheets for the top, buttering between each of those as well. Cut into diamond shaped pieces ( I cut into squares), placing a clove in the middle of each. Pour any remaining butter over the top layer.

Bake 1 ½ to 2 hours at 300 degrees until nicely browned*. Remove from oven and pour hot syrup over immediately.

Syrup:
2 cups sugar, ¾ TBSP honey and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes only.

*Watch very closely, it’s very easy to over or undercook. Look at top, bottom and middle to assure proper cooking.

6 comments:

Anne said...

I didn't know that's all that's in baklava. It sounds delish! Don't forget to make it again when we come to town next weekend. :o)

Anne said...

I didn't know that's all that's in baklava. It sounds delish! Don't forget to make it again when we come to town next weekend. :o)

Annie Hatke Schap said...

Holy crap. A POUND of butter?!? Talk about a heart attack that's TOTALLY worth it!!

LauraSuz said...

Yeah it's a lot but if taking to a party hopefully not one person will consume the entire pound. It's a special occasion type of dessert.

Kim said...

Aaaaah, baklava is like my favourite food ever! Can't wait to try this!

Anonymous said...

oh man that is awesome. i love baklava