Wednesday, August 5, 2009

You Don't Know It Yet... but you can't live without this soup!

AnnLaura's Carrot Soup

Shared with thoughts of my sister-in-law who gave me the recipe, who just gave birth a few hours ago to her second baby boy!

*note: all measurements are approximate

6 carrots, peeled & chopped
1/2 an onion
1tsp garlic
2 celery stalks, chopped (I don't usually put this in because I don't often have it on hand)
7c chicken broth
3 potatoes, peeled, chopped
1 c milk
salt and pepper to taste

IN A BIG POT:
1. Sautee the onion, garlic and carrots in some oil or butter until carrots are tender and onions are transluscent.

2. Add celery and chicken broth. Bring to a rolling boil.

3. Add potatoes. Boil until potatoes are soft.

4. Put everything into a food processor or a blender, or use your hand blender. (*I don't do any of this. I use my potato masher and mash it all up by hand.)

5. Simmer for awhile. Let cool for awhile. When it's time to eat it, warm it back up and add the milk.

And that's it!! It's that easy!! The last time I made this soup I ate the entire pot by myself. I shared a little bit with Anja, but she doesn't eat much.... and Martin doesn't like it because he's a nerd.... so over 3 days I ate an entire pot of soup by myself. Also, it's advertised to be a yummy chilled soup, though I have never tried it that way.

Oh, and it's recommended that you read The Tawny Scrawny Lion at some point during production or consumption of this soup.

No comments: