Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Green Beans

My sister recently inspired me to start planning meals once more.  Between pregnancy, moving and a new infant it had been quite awhile, and I'm so happy to be planning for our eating once more.  As soon as I decided to start planning meals again, I also was gifted a number of used cookbooks that were on their way to Goodwill - inspiration for our meals!  It all worked out very well.  And now the kids and I have lunch made ready-made everyday in the form of leftovers.

If you have an abundance of green beans coming to you right now, this is a great way to vary the vegetable a bit.  And it's delicious! This is my version of the recipe that I got from an All Recipes cookbook.

Breadcrumbs and Green Beans
1 lb fresh green beans, rinsed and trimmed
1/2 c water 
1/4 c breadcrumbs
1/4 c olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 t each garlic powder, oregano, basil
optional: 1/4 c Parmesan cheese, if you don't need dairy-free it's yummy!

Bring the green beans in the water to a boil then reduce and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, covered, until they reach desired tenderness.  Drain.  Place in medium serving bowl and mix in remaining ingredients.  Stir until coated.

More recipes to follow!

1 comment:

LauraSuz said...

I'm trying this at some point! Was there dairy in the original recipe, since you said you changed it a little?