Sunday, June 29, 2008

Something New (again)

So I did the meal planning, and it worked quite well, with unforseen additional benefits (besides my peace of mind). However, I'm trying something new already. I have read in a couple of different food threads on Danielle Bean's blog about wives who cook the same rotation of meals weekly. So we're going to try something of that variety over here.

Peter and I came up with a list of 14 main dishes that we really enjoy. So we have a set meal plan for two weeks at a time. I realize this really wouldn't appeal to some people, and it may turn out that we won't like it at all either. But I'm willing to give it a try. I'm hoping that it will making grocery shopping easier and less expensive. Plus I won't give up trying to plan meals because I can't come up with different ideas, etc.

Also, I may try some different side dish recipes or do a bit more baking with my extra time, but I don't have to feel obligated to, as long as I get a well-balanced dinner on the table. This is an adventure in the kitchen to be sure! I suppose we'll start this next week as the grocery shopping for this week is done.

I should mention that we'll be using a summer rotation of foods right now. I hope to change at least some of the main meals with each season, and of course for veggies, etc. we'll buy what's in season or on sale! Our list right now is also kind of loose, if you will. For example, I have chicken and rice for one night, but I could do a chicken broccoli rice casserole one week and chicken with pineapple and rice the next.

Do any of you guys do anything special for planning meals? How do you come up with your meals each week? Just curious.

3 comments:

Annie Hatke Schap said...

Hey, thanks for adding the tags on my posts, I forgot to do it! I'm a loser, I know.

We basically do the meal rotation, except it's not so much to keep things simple as it is because I don't know how to make very many different things and I am reluctant to try new things since I always mess them up. We've basically cut restaurants out of our budget these days too, so if I make a disgusting dinner, we have to hold our noses and swallow it down anyway!!! It does work well, because you have a pretty set grocery list each week, but for me it gets a little boring. I can't speak for Martin. However, I do think it works as a way to save money because our grocery costs are essentially the same every week.

Anne said...

Yes, that is what I'm looking forward to! Having a pretty darn consistent grocery bill week to week. I think we're going to need that especially when we move!

Jill said...

I like having a week's worth of meals all planned out, but usually I'm scrounging around at 4:00 trying to figure out what to make. I try to have basics on hand - frozen chicken breasts, some hamburger, frozen vegetables, some canned soups and rice and pasta ...and then I try to go shopping every few days for fresh veggies and fruit. It's not a system I would necessarily recommend, though.