Saturday, June 6, 2009

Lemon-Thyme Cornmeal Quick Bread

My sister-in-law evidently is addicted to participating in online surveys, and for doing them she often gets magazine subscriptions, so she and her sister and I are all signed up for the same magazines. One of them is Cooking Light. This is a recipe from the June 2009 issue.

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal (the recommend not using stone-ground because it is too coarse)
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup egg substitute (I think that's gross; I used 3 eggs)
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup plus 2 T canola oil
1 T fresh thyme
1 T grated lemon rind (I omitted this)
2 T lemon juice
2 T pine nuts (I omitted them)
1 T butter, melted

Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, mix it up, set aside.

In an electric mixer, beat eggs, sugar and oil until well blended. Add thyme, rind and juice; beat until well combined. Add flour mixture; beat until just combined. Chop 1 T of nuts, stir into the batter.

Grease a loaf pan and pour in batter. Sprinkle top with remaining pine nuts. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes. Remove pan and drizzle melted butter over batter. Return to oven for 20 more minutes, or until it looks right.

It was great! I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this way, but all of my kosher salt seemed to sink to the bottom. So the top of the loaf was butter (delicious), the middle of the loaf was sweet and lemony with a hint of savory thyme (delicious), and the bottom of the loaf was salty (delicious.) It was so good! And quick and easy, which of course makes it extra awesome. The only downside is that the cornmeal consistency gets stuck in your teeth! Yikes!

1 comment:

LauraSuz said...

Hey! I saw this recipe. Looks yummy!